HitachiGet the code
What is it?
Pentaho Open BI Suite is different from traditional BI offerings. It is a process-centric, solution-oriented.
Pentaho Open BI Suite is a platform with BI components that enables companies to develop complete solutions to BI problems.
The Pentaho BI platform, the core architecture and foundation of the Pentaho Open BI Suite, is process-centric because the central driver is a workflow engine. The workflow engine uses process definitions to define the business intelligence processes that are used to define the business intelligence processes that run within the BI platform. Processes can be easily Customized and new processes can be added. The BI platform includes components and reports to analyze the performance of these processes.
The BI platform is solution-oriented because the platform operations are specified in the process.
definitions and action documents that specify each activity. These processes and operations collectively
define the solution to a business intelligence problem. This BI solution can be easily integrated into the business processes that are external to the platform.
A solution definition can contain any number of processes and operations.
processes and operations. Pentaho Open BI Suite consists of a BI platform, end-user BI capabilities and Pentaho Design Study:
- The BI platform provides an execution framework and services including logging, auditing, security, scheduling, ETL, web services, attribute repository and rules engines, security, scheduling, ETL, web services, attribute repository and rules engines.
- End-user BI capabilities include reporting, analysis, workflow, dashboards, and data mining.
- The Pentaho Design Studio is a set of design and administration tools that integrate into the popular Eclipse environment.
popular Eclipse environment. These tools enable business analysts or developers to create reports,
dashboards, analysis models, business rules and BI processes.
- The BI platform and end-user BI capabilities form the Pentaho server. BI solutions are designed using Pentaho Design Studio
using Pentaho Design Studio and deployed on the Pentaho Server. The Pentaho Server is the
runtime engine, driven by the workflow engine, which coordinates execution and communication between all BI components.
Centralized control by a workflow engine is essential to the BI platform architecture:
- The platform is based on processes and process definitions. The BI platform understands the nature
of processes because everything in it runs as one.
- Processes are defined in a standard process definition language that is externally visible, editable and customizable. All business logic is exposed and nothing is hidden.
- Logging, auditing and security are integrated into the core and are used automatically to ensure that there is always an accurate audit trail available for both governance and performance monitoring.
The architecture is a combination of original source code and mature open source components that are integrated to form a complete, scalable and sophisticated BI platform.
The Pentaho BI platform is built on a foundation of servers, engines and components. These provide the J2EE server, security, portal, workflow, rules engines, charting, collaboration, content management, data integration, analysis and modeling features of the system. Many of these components are standards-based and can be replaced with other products.
Why was it developed?
To create a truly integrated single source solution, Pentaho aggregates the following:
- Common metadata in the form of solution definition documents.
- Common user interfaces and user interface components
- Desktop and email notifications
- Installation, integration and validation of all components
- Sample solutions
- Application connectors
- Usability and diagnostic tools
- Design tools
- Customization and configuration
Why are we sharing it?
Pentaho Open BI Suite uses a number of third-party open source components. The Architecture section
section shows the architecture and the relationship of these open source components to the Pentaho components.
The open source components allow Pentaho to focus on the value-added functionality of the system: reporting,
analytics, workflow integration, business rules, auditing, notification and user interfaces, and analytics/workflow modeling.
Have you reused or are you planning to reuse this tool?
Simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a "tool reuse badge", exclusive to the IDB.