Distance and Travel Time Between Two Points from Google Maps.
- Calculation of distances taking into account traffic in the area
- Analysis in 4 different modes of transport: on foot, by bicycle, by car or public transport.
Tool that connects the R program with Google maps directly.
Gmapsdistance is born from the need to compute calculations in a list of millions of observations that involve Google maps.
Having a list of N places of origin and M destinations, this library performs calculations quickly, for different modes (walking, by car, public transport, bicycle, etc) and at different times, as one can specify the time.
Gmapsdistance has been used in different fields.
- To assess how important the distance of heart care centers is in the health of adolescents with congenital heart problems (see link).
- Measure the accessibility of the population to different public transport services (see link)
- Evaluate how much distance affects urban centers and the valuation of properties in California (see link).
- It is currently being used to assess the state of access to health in Kenya.
Rodrigo Azuero, Colombian, specialist in the fiscal management division of the IDB.
R library that allows to calculate distances for a database through Google maps.
You can see the code here: https://github.com/rodazuero/gmapsdistance
You can download the library from the CRAN repository.